Non-Executive Directors for HR Wallingford Group
The HR Wallingford Group is seeking two Non-Executive Directors to join the Board to replace two long standing NEDs who are standing down this year. The Board consists of the non-executive chair, three Non-Executive Directors, the Chief Executive Officer and three Executive Directors. Appointments by the Board are for three years and subject to confirmation by the Annual General Meeting of Company Members.
Read an introduction to the HR Wallingford Group here (.pdf).
The Board welcomes applications from suitably qualified and experienced individuals from diverse backgrounds who have a good track record at director level in either the public or private sectors. It is intended that these appointments will augment the skills of the two continuing NEDs by enhancing the diversity of the Board and bringing expertise in at least one of the following areas: Finance, Human Resources, Non-profit Distributing Research Organisations and Engineering Project Management. The goal of HR Wallingford Group is to:
- produce world-leading research and innovation,
- increase staff engagement, development and resource versatility,
- develop a Centre of Excellence at Wallingford in the interface between water and the natural and built environment
- extend global delivery,
- deliver sustainable financial performance.
- Act as statutory Director of the company with the associated fiduciary duties and responsibilities, ensuring a robust and effective governance framework.
- Review and help develop the Group Strategic Plan to bring fresh thinking to the company’s service offerings and markets.
- Support the development of the vision for the company and advise on strategic investment in new markets, facilities and expertise.
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Group Board, 3-6 monthly meetings of the Board subcommittees (Nominations, Remuneration and Audit), and the Annual General Meeting with Company Members
- Attend strategy meetings and ad hoc meetings (such as appointment of auditors).
- Support development of strategies and monitor, review and challenge the Executive team in their execution viz:
- maintain HR Wallingford’s position at the cutting edge of high value advisory, research and consultancy work for private and public sector clients in the UK and internationally.
- position HR Wallingford higher up the value chain, working on higher value contracts for more clients which value solutions to their commercial, technical or policy problems.
- generate profits and cash flow in line with the detailed business plan to maintain the Group’s financial stability and increase the net worth of the company.
- increase the level of self-funded research if supported by profitability.
- maintain diversity by continuing to work across the company’s current markets and developing new markets based on HR Wallingford’s skills and expertise.
- review and develop the company’s geographical coverage across relevant market sectors.
- influence direction in R&D decision making to include return on investment, quality and choice of science.
- identify and manage major risks and opportunities for the Group.
- consider strategic acquisition opportunities which fit with the company’s diversification strategy to enter new markets and new regions which match clients’ needs.
- support the development of strategic R&D links in national and international markets.
- increase staff engagement, development and resource versatility.
- reduce the company’s pension fund deficit over the longer term, including working closely with the Finance Director, the Chairman and the non-executives to agree the investment strategy with the Group’s pension fund trustees.
- develop the strategic potential of Howbery Park at Wallingford
Time commitment and remuneration
The present arrangement is that the NED role is considered to require around 8 - 10 days per annum and has remuneration of £9,500 per annum, paid quarterly in arrears. Both this time commitment and the remuneration is currently under review.
How to apply
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter, clearly stating the vacancy of interest, to:
Sonia Tyack, Personnel Manager, HR Wallingford, Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BA, United Kingdom, or email email@example.com.
Closing date: Saturday 30 March 2019.
Privacy notice for job applicants
Read our Privacy notice for job applicants (.pdf) to read on how we collect and process the personal data you may provide us when you apply for a job with us through our websites, or by any other means. This notice also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.